These antifungal preparations contains the active ingredient, Terbinafine which is a broad spectrum antifungal and is effective against skin infections caused by fungus, yeasts and moulds such as ringworm, hots spots and Schnauzer bumps.
It is more effective than other topical antifungals (such as clotrimazole and oxiconazole) because it destroys skin infection-causing (fungicidal) fungi and not only inhibits fungal growth (fungistatic). In contrast to other topical antifungals, it has a shorter treatment period.
It is considered to act through inhibition of fungal sterol synthesis. It works by preventing the formation of substances needed by the fungus to grow and develop, which causes weakness and death of the fungus.
In particular, in hot and humid weather, fungi grow rapidly. Most commonly, fungal infections affecting pets are located on the skin, coat and nails. Approximately 70% of the cases in dogs are caused by Microsporum canis, 20% by Microsporum gypseum, and 10% by Trichophyton mentagropphytes; 98% of the cases in cats are caused by Microsporum canis.
Both gel and lotion contain waterproof agent and this antifungal gel does not contain water. Moisture is a risk factor and can promote growth of fungus. The waterproof agent provides water resistance and protects the infected areas.
Penetration enhancers help to promote better absorption and increase bioavailability of the active drug. Enhanced penetration ensures that the active drug reach deeper into infected areas and also ensures higher retention rate of drug.
It also contains ingredient that help to soothe dry flaky skin and promote faster healing.
- The infected area should be thoroughly clipped down close to the skin. Avoid causing any irritation on the skin to prevent spreading. Clippers and other grooming tools used by the infected pet should be cleaned with disinfectant.
- Always keep the infected area thoroughly clean and dry, especially in between the claws and skin fold area.
- If the infected area become itchy, use an E-collar on your pet
- to prevent scratching which can damage the skin further and cause spreading.
- Confining your pet to one room of the house until treatment has finished or fully cured.
- Wash all collars, combs, towels, clothes, soft toys, baskets, bedding, pet carriers and litter boxes with disinfectant and discard any items that cannot be washed. Do not share these items with other pets as infection can be easily spread
- through sharing.
- Thoroughly clean all hard surfaces in the house where your pet has been. Vacuum any carpeted areas and throw away the vacuum cleaner bag once done.
- Broad spectrum topical antifungal lotion and gel
- Effective against ringworm, hot spots and Schnauzer bumps
- Enhanced penetration of active drug deep into the infected areas for faster action
- Waterproof agent provides water resistance
- Soothes dry flaky skin and promotes healing
- Sees results within 1 week
Terbinafine HCl 1% w/w or w/v